Thursday, June 11, 2009

Rummage...

Fortunately for me, and I suppose for my dear husband as well, our kids love rummage/garage sales just as much as I do. Yesterday we ventured out to a huge rummage sale that a local church conducts every summer and hit the jack pot ;-) The kids found lots of little knick knacks and I fell into vintage kitchen heaven!


I am madly in love with my $4 Oster blender! This thing puts any new model to shame! It was just screaming for me to use it so I ran out and picked up my supplies to make fresh salsa. And what better excuse to brag on this super easy recipe that came from a sweet girl that my mom works with! You must try it! It knocked our socks off the first time we gave it a whirl and has become a staple food that I make on a weekly/bi-weekly basis.

First gather your ingredients and make sure they are all clean.

2-3 handfuls Jalapenos
2-3 handfuls Tomatillos
1 bunch fresh Cilantro
4-5 cloves Garlic
A dash of salt


Next, remove tops of Jalapenos and toss into pot of water. Bring to a boil.


If you have any little hands available enlist them to remove the husks from the tomatillos. We throw all the scraps into a container that we later take out to the compost bin. Once the husks have been removed you bring them to a boil in a separate pot of water.


While the jalapenos and tomatillos are boiling you can get your cilantro and garlic ready. Slice the bunch of cilantro right above the stems and peel the outer layer off of the garlic cloves. No need to chop either of these any further.

Once the jalapenos and tomatillos are finished they will each have turned a different shade of green. The jalapenos will be a brighter green and the tomatillos will be lighter in color.

Remove the jalapenos from the water and place them in a blender. Blend them until they turn into liquid. Next throw the cilantro, garlic and dash of salt in. Blend at 20 second intervals for a couple of minutes. Finally, remove the tomatillos from their water and place in blender. Again, blend at 20 second intervals for a couple minutes.

Place in container.
Allow to cool in the refrigerator for a few hours and serve. Yum-tastic!











2 comments:

ashley black said...

you are amazing!

ashley black said...

Oh and I just need to let you know that I am totally jealous of your blender! Love it!